Doctoral Program Experimental Medicine
Doctoral candidates with a Diplom or master’s degree in the natural sciences who are working on their project at one of the labs of the School of Medicine (or at other eligible locations), have the possiblity to enrol into the experimental medicine doctoral program - an individually structured doctoral program.
This gives them chance to receive a Dr. rer. nat. degree through the TUM School of Medicine(link is external).
The program consists of a scientific project that usually takes 3 years to finish, during which the candidates must fulfill the qualifying program. Program elements consist of, among other, individually curated subject-specific courses and submission of a first-author publication to a scientific journal. With the financial support of TUM-GS the candidates can also plan a variety of international research stays (limited due to the current covid-19 situation).
Main characteristics of the program:
- Medicine-related scientific doctoral projects
- Interdisciplinary mentoring by a member of TUM School of Medicine and a member of a natural science department of the TUM
- Supervision agreement between doctoral candidate, advisors and mentor
- Candidates must have funding, either as an employee of the research group or as a scholarship holder
- Screening of doctoral projects by an interdisciplinary committee for quality control
- Membership in the TUM Medical Graduate Center or a Thematic Graduate Center (HELENA, IGSSE ...) and applying for a doctoral degree from TUM School of Medicine
- Qualification program with individually structured subject related courses, soft skill courses and optional international research phase
- Awarded degree: Dr. rer. nat.